19 September, 2012

Breakfast & Bible Study: Single Origin Roasters, Sydney


Yesterday, Ben and I both woke up early and met up early in order to have some quality time with each other and God's Word before heading off to class at possibly my favourite joint to get coffee in Sydney, Single Origin Roasters in Surry Hills. It's an awesome little corner cafe surrounded by quiet streets lined with trees, bicycles, interesting book stores, modern and old terraces, and lofts that inhibit a New York-esque about them (and inhibiting how much I'd love to live in one).  Breakfast was pretty pricey (just over $34 to cover for the both of us). So we being poor students have taken it upon ourselves to find cheaper breakfast spots, and occasionally spoil ourselves with our favourites, occasionally that is. But my skim latte from Single Origin is always worth it. Always. 

I honestly cherish these mornings. I love starting my days like this. Although it can be painful to wake up and head into the city at an early hour (which is really just one hour before class), I love what I'm getting out of it. I love the time I spend with Ben, the conversations we have and the intimacy of sharing our observations out of 1 Corinthians.


There was so much that I got out of our bible study yesterday. So much meat that spoke volumes to how my character is transforming from the semi-rebellious/angsty girl of yesteryear to a more growing, God-fearing young woman. So I thought that I'd do exactly what I did on my last blog post and note down all the verses that I highlighted and discuss what they meant to me.

"But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness" 1 Corinthians 10:5
Prior to this verse Paul tells the church of Corinth to be aware of how their fathers followed God in the sense that they ate and drank the same spiritual food and drink, following the Rock that is Jesus. The reason why this verse stuck out to me was because it showed me that even if you're in a body where everyone is God-seeking and serving God, if you're only giving a religious lip service it benefits no one, but religious and legalistic expectations to lead your life and I don't believe that, that is the essence of the Christian faith at all.

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to hear it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
There is no temptation and no struggle we encounter that no one else hasn't encountered before. This is not to disqualify your struggle, but to encourage those who are struggling with temptation (which includes myself). The point is, we are all struggling, we are all being tempted to do things that God doesn't want us to do for our own well-being. And God's faithfulness stands in the gap, never letting the temptation exceed to destroy us so long as we hold onto Him. I found that so encouraging, that it is in fact God's faithfulness in my life that keeps the enemy at bay.

"You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord's table and of the table of demons" 1 Corinthians 10:21
This one was a simple but awesome one for me. You cannot have the best of both worlds, because really, you're just selling out to the world. "I'll go out drinking tonight, but it's okay, I've got Church on Sunday". That's not how Christianity works... to willingly abuse God's grace would be like a parent rewarding a kid for doing something bad. It sucks though, when you fall into the trap of sinning intentionally and then asking God for forgiveness... because I know that He loves me too much to leave me astray and He'll forgive me, but at the same time, there is a built up guilt that I intentionally wronged Him but now come crawling back in order to clear my conscience.

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify" 1 Corinthians 10:23
Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right to do nor will it bring you up to be a better person. Such as, turning 18 and commencing the Australian trend of binge drinking or smoking. Just because you're of age doesn't mean it's good for you. It'll eat at you, erode you ... and not to mention it's so bad for your physical health! So again, just because it seems right to others, doesn't mean it has to be right for you.

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offence, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ" 1 Corinthians 10:31-32; 11:1.
In my days as a youth leader, 1 Corinthians 11:1 was by far what kept me going. When I first started I felt absolutely unequipped to serve young girls and I felt that I didn't know enough about the bible and about God to share with them. However, my youth pastor put it simply and encouraged us that we didn't need to know everything, we just needed to know God and keep growing one step ahead of the girls so that I could lead them. What also stuck out to me in this passage is that Paul tells us to give no offence to anyone, but to love everyone so that they may be exposed to the love of Christ. I see a lot of Christian groups that congregate in hatred against different groups (like homosexuals to name one) and it absolutely frustrates me, because all I want to do is showcase the love of Christ, how can we expect to build the church when the church members are pushing people away with hate? So I'm going to start with giving glory to God through my life, my relationships, my health... everything. It's time I pushed myself to Godly limits and allow Him to move pivotally in my life again. It's incredibly exciting because I know that there is so much in store for me.

No comments: