02 March, 2010

why do i love history?


doing my history assignment and homework; scouring youtube and textbooks for information and videos... i couldn't help but be blown away. i had to stop, take a breath and absorb the immense amount of reverence i felt towards this world's history. in my reflection, i couldn't help but remind myself the why i love history so much.

it's because i never want to forget the sacrifices and risks our ancestors made before us - shaping & expanding society as we know it, i never want to let go of the heroes and heroines that battled for a nation, that fought for honour and in all their pain and suffering, provided hope to a generation with the inability to defend themselves. i want to take on the legacy they left behind.

sure, when you look back at history, with a plain mind, you see corruption and greed for wealth and omnipotence of governments and empires. however, i can't help but be proud of our defenders. it gives me hope. it gives me another reason for my existence. i may not be fighting a physical war, i may not be risking my life for a greater cause, i may not be in insufferable conditions where every step, flinch and movement is as great a risk as being point-blank of the enemy, but that's why i love history. it humbles me with the reminders it gives of the heroes and leaders who looked to us, who fought for our generation to not have to suffer and sacrifice as they willingly did.

in one aspect, we were their greater cause.

1 comment:

Yan said...

kudos. kudos. kudos.