12 September, 2010

when men & women get their hands on religion, one of the first things they often do is turn it into an instrument for controlling others, either putting or keeping them "in their place." the history of such religious manipulation and coercion is long and tedious

i really appreciate having opened my bible today. man oh man. i am as naive as a hungry ham. i've completely forgotten just how much i need the God's word. i've been so conscious of not appearing religious to my friends that i, as a whole, ignored that inner conviction that it's by God's grace, mercy + word that assists in my daily functioning. (i'm probably being slightly melodramatic, i'm not backsliding, i'm just giving myself a need kick up the back side).

i've also been feeling lonely. i need to surround myself with people that build me up again, i guess that's why i love summer. it's when those people are free and we are able to travel and seize all moments. yep. i've got to remember that i need to balance myself. you are the company you keep, after all.

hm. note to self: season of substance
[post-script]: just after i clicked "publish post" i looked down at my bible and read the introduction of hebrews, it sort of answered my thoughts for me:
it seems odd to have to say so, but too much religion is a bad thing. we can't get too much of God, can't get too much faith + obedience, can't get too much love + worship. But religion - the well-intentioned efforts we make to "get it all together" for God - can very well get in the way of what God is doing for us. the main and central action is everywhere and always what God has done, is doing, and will do for us. Jesus is the revelation of that action...

No comments: